I Wonder If Green Berets Watch Army Wives Too?

by Suz on November 14, 2011

Remember last year when I joined the Army? No? Me neither…mainly because I haven’t done anything remotely resembling military service, unless napping and eating snacks in the Denver airport USO lounge counts.

I've got my matching dress all ready.

Makes me sort of feel like a slacker and faulty investment.  Apparently, all that money direct deposited into my bank account for anesthesia school wasn’t just the government being nice.  At least, I am a better investment than Solyndra and will eventually do something someday Armyish.

A few weeks ago I got a call, “Offering” me a spot in the Basic Officer Leadership  Course (BOLC) at Fort Sam Houston in November.  I’m pretty new to this Army stuff, but I common sense told me when the Army “offers,” it’s best to accept.

I would be more nervous about attending BOLC on such short notice if I hadn’t spent the last few months watching four seasons of Army Wives.

I’m sort of an overachiever like that.

In the true “go get em” attitude, of what I’m assuming is that of an Army officer, I’ve been preparing for my first Army experience at every available opportunity, using all available resources.  “Available” in this sense has generally been confined to tips gleaned from ex-Army friends, while imbibing  in adult beverages at the bar.

It generally goes something like this:

Me: “Hey! I need to learn how to salute, I’m not sure they’re doing it correctly on Army Wives.”

Friend who is tired of talking about the Army: “Like this.”

Me: “Okay! Let me practice…am I doing it correctly?!?”

Friend who wishes they were someplace else: “Um, you sort of look like you’re saluting Hitler.”

Me: “Crap. Let’s try again.”

Repeat.

A month of Army training can be no worse than anesthesia school. What can they do? Yell at me? Make me wake up early? I owe them too much money, so they certainly aren’t going to kick me out…even if I do salute like a Nazi.

I’ve been told BOLC is like ‘Summer camp with guns’ and ‘Death by powerpoint.’ Unfortunately, it probably won’t involve watching the 5th season of Army Wives, but I’m pretty sure after my commanding officer sees how awesome I am at everything, Army Wives will be mandatory viewing for the next class.

And for that, all I can say is, “You’re welcome.”

Wish me luck as I spend the next month in San Antonio camping out in a field, playing with maps, shooting guns, and doing other fun Army stuff.

If you haven’t been to my new Facebook page–and you don’t hate puppies, go “Like” it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Irene November 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

You certainly do have interesting endeavors! And this is a good thing! Life is never boring for you! Kudos girl! I look forward to seeing your experiences, even if you do salute like a Nazi!

Marty Wombacher November 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Good luck with the BOLC! I’ve never heard of the Army Wive’s tv show, is it worth Netflixing? Hey, I just invented a word, “Netflixing!” Hurrah!

Suz November 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Totally worth netflixing! It’s sort of addicting. I got my friend hooked, I think she went through the first season in one day.

Juice November 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Only a dedicated slider would have invested so many hours, prior to training, researching how to be an Army officer via army wives. A true patriot Suz

Shash November 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Holy crap, lady! Now off to San Antonio? When will you be back and when will you be in MI again? Gosh. The only interesting thing I’ve done in the last few months is try to lose this baby weight. Maybe I should go with you. I hear they make you work out. :)

bianca November 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Oh my goodness lady! You are like a runaway train! Wish I was still in Texas…I’d totally come to S.A. to visit, complete with contraband and Season 5 of Army Wives…though I’ve never seen it, and I’m not sure I’d ever be allowed to. I think I’d be labeled a traitor since I am really a Navy wife 😉
bianca recently posted..the {third} greatest love story of my life

Jennifer November 25, 2011 at 2:03 am

Oh, wow! I missed your joining the Army, and all this time I thought you had already fulfilled your commitment. You’ll do great. I did not enjoy OTS, but I loved the people in my flight. And now, well, I really miss the Air Force. :(

trr December 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I know I’m way behind on this and other things. You’re probably done by now. How was it?

Suz December 19, 2011 at 10:43 am

It was super fun! I’ve just not been able to get the time to write about yet. It’s on my to do list.

Helena January 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for your post here Suz…
Helena recently posted..Waterfront Waves Bedok

Kelley February 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm

First, I miss your blog! It’s been too long since I’ve been here. :( Second, LOVE your plea for people to subscribe to your RSS. Who wants to die sad?? Third, I am so Imoressed you are going to do something army related. That is awesome! So glad they gave you that $$$. Maybe through your experience, we can all learn to salute right!

Sarah June 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

You go girl! Army stuff is nothing. You can do it! Good luck!
Sarah recently posted..epoxy concrete patch

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }